RE: Google threatens to break Gmail

If we decide that the long-established semantics are the right ones, then I think our email standards deserve to die, because they don't currently work.   I share your concern about email turning into closed bulletin boards, but the way to fix that is to accept that email as it is is badly broken, and try to fix it, not to get mad at Google et al. for refusing to continue to suffer the brokenness.