Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

On 2015-7-7, at 17:49, John C Klensin <john@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unless the IAOC and RFC Editor negotiated a particularly unusual
> deal with the chosen DOI Registration Agency, probably not.  In
> general, signing up to issue DOIs carries with it not only a set
> of charges but an obligation to use DOIs in one's own documents.

As Eliot said, it seems to be a request, not an obligation. The ACM and IEEE - both of which assign DOIs for all their publications - are not turning down papers because the authors didn't include DOIs in their bibliographies, and neither would we.

Lars