Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

Hi Melinda,

On 7/6/15 9:09 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 7/6/15 6:57 AM, Leif Johansson wrote:
>> 6 jul 2015 kl. 16:10 skrev Andrew Newton <andy@xxxxxx
>> <mailto:andy@xxxxxx>>:
>>> I think John's point is that in the IETF we usually do not
>>> interpret lack of feedback as passive approval but rather lack of
>>> any review.
>> We also depend on active participation.
> To be honest, I was completely ignoring the DOI discussion until
> someone emailed me directly about it.  The reasons I was staying
> away from it include:
>
> 1) The IETF is going to do what it's going to do, which tend to be
>    whatever a few people in the leadership want it to do.  It's
>    unlikely that participation and review is going to change outcomes
>    on hobbyhorse projects
>
> 2) Bibliographic discussions in the IETF tend to be particularly
>    frustrating because there are very few people who actually know
>    anything about the subject matter, but everybody's got an
>    opinion.  There's a tendency to fall into the "I'm a smart person,
>    so perhaps I may not know anything about the field but hey, I'm
>    a smart person" trap.  This document contains some incorrect
>    statements, or statements so broad as to carry very little
>    information, and there doesn't appear to be much interest among
>    those participating in the discussion in seeing those corrected.
>    That tends to lead to the conclusion that there's no point in
>    participating in discussions about bibliographic matters within
>    the IETF

There goes the whistle.  Unsupported assertion while claiming same,
Offense.  5 yard penalty.  How about instead pointing out the incorrect
statements and test your assertion?

> I think problems 1 and 2 are pervasive throughout the IETF's work
> and not isolated to this particular document, but the fact that this
> is an area in which so few IETF participants have any expertise
> tends to bring it out more strongly.  I suspect it has something
> to do with the incredible volume of just plain bad drafts we're
> facing these days, and the pressures associated with dealing with those.
>
> Melinda
>
> [BTW, as a (sort-of) side note, if you've read this document you're
> aware that it not only contains a discussion of assigning DOIs
> to RFCs but also contains a discussion of the use of DOIs within
> RFCs, because assigning DOIs to our documents carries with it
> the obligation to the issuing body to use DOIs within our own
> documents.]

Where in the document does it state any such obligation?  This sort of
overstatement and misinformation is how we end up with a 100-message
sillyThread® on this mailing list.

Eliot