Re: horse left the barn, etc, was <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

I don't personally use French or Russian. However, I don't believe that those languages should be outlawed. Some other people appear to find them useful. In this case, _we_ may not need or use them and some of us may not want them to even be available, but we should play well with others.

Anyone who becomes aware of an RFC can probably, if they have any internet access at all, find http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-index.html and locate what they need. The DOI initiative appears to be in preparation for the day, far in the future, when the RFC Editor no longer exists. Perhaps we could support this external initiative by listing DOIs in our indexes and lists. That way, if the world changes so much that there is no IETF/IESG live RFC repository with index available, anyone who can get a copy of the dead-file list will have access to the DOIs and can still get the RFCs. Although my personal opinion is that by the time we are no longer supporting that list we probably won't be using DOIs either.

--
Sandy Wills