Re: [IAB] Last Call: <draft-iab-2870bis-01.txt> (DNS Root Name Service Protocol and Deployment Requirements) to Best Current Practice

Hi.

The message below sounds like it perports to be a judgment of consensus
and a summary of last call comments ffor a draft being published as IETF
stream as a standards action.
This document is authored by the IAB.

Mark Blanchet, the author of this message is an IAB member.

I have a huge process concern with this.  I'd expect that the person
judging consensus for an IETF last call on a standards action would be a
member of the IESG, and especially not one of the authors of the draft,
which for an IAB document should include the entire IAB.

>From time to time the IESG might delegate that role to a document
shepherd who is not a member of the IESG.  I'd expect that the IESG
member would still ultimately judge consensus, but I can see a shepherd
writing up an initial message.  I think such a delegation to an IAB
member for an IAB document is entirely inappropriate.

I'm very uncomfortable with the apparent process here and believe that
that to avoid doubt a member of the IESG needs to step in and make their
own independent assessment of the last call comments.
If my understanding is correct and we've already misstepped here, I
think delegation would be inappropriate in this instance.

--Sam