Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02

> On Feb 16, 2015, at 3:17 AM, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> On 11/02/2015 21:14, Tom Haynes wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Thanks for the review.
>>
>> Comments inline.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>> On Feb 11, 2015, at 3:51 AM, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>>>
>>> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you may receive.
>>>
>>> Document:  draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-02
>>> Reviewer: Alexey Melnikov
>>> Review Date: 2015-02-11
>>> IETF LC End Date: 2015-02-16
>>> IESG Telechat date: N/A.

>>> Major issues:
>>> Minor issues:
>>>
>>> In Section 4:
>>>
>>> "LSF" is used for the first time without being expanded. I suggest you introduce the abbreviation in the terminology section.
>> I think I prefer to expand it as there are two possible expansions and only one use of it:
>>

>> 4.  Security Considerations
>>
>>    This document defines a mechanism to associate LFS identifier with a
>>
>> ->
>>
>> 4.  Security Considerations
>>
>>    This document defines a mechanism to associate the Label Format Specifier to a
> Sounds good to me.

Done

>>> In Section 5:
>>>
>>> Label Description: - what is the allowed character set for this field? Is it ASCII? Is it UTF-8 with some restrictions?
>>
>>    Label Description:  A human readable ASCII text string that describes
> This is a good change.

This was the original text. :-)

>>> What is entry NNN? Is it a document reference (e.g. An RFC)?
>> It is another entry in the registry. That new entry will provide the mapping to a document reference.
> Some registries allow obsoletion of entries which are just not considered to be a good idea anymore. I don't know if your document should allow for that or not.

This registry does not consider worthiness as a criteria.

>>> Is it possible to obsolete without such entry?
>> No, Section 5.3 is clear on that.
>>
>>> In Section 5.3 - is it possible to update a label description document without requesting a new label? For example if changes are editorial and don't significantly affect label syntax and model.
>>>

>> Two considerations:
>>
>> 1) Edit of “Description” - I don’t see a problem with allowing this to occur.
>>
>> 2) Edit of “Reference” - Which is what I think you are asking about here.
> I was asking about both.
>> If we consider IETF created RFCs, we know that a -bis is a legitimate need for an update as it obsoletes the earlier RFC.
>>
>> And if we consider non-IETF created documents, I think we need to fall back Designated Expert reviewer to answer whether the new document requires a new label or we can allow an edit.
>>
>> This is rough, but I’d envision a new Section 5.4:
>>
>> 5.4.  Modifying an Existing Entry in the Registry
>>
>>   A request to modify  either the Description or the published
>>   label format specification will also require the Specification
>>   Required IANA policy to be applied. The Designated Expert reviewer
>>   will need to determine if the published label format specification
>>   either
>>
>>   obsoletes the Label Format Specifier - follow the process in Section 5.2.
>>
>>   updates the label syntax and/or model - approve the change.
> I like this.
>>> Nits/editorial comments:
> Best Regards,
> Alexey

And Alexey, thank you very much for that last point, I think it makes the document more complete.

I’ve applied the changes, let me know if you want to see an early copy of the next version.