Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 01:25:01PM -0500, Mary Barnes wrote:
> [MB] Actually, I'm attending the meetings as an observer

Yes, of course, but _your_ status isn't the only thing relevant here.
The W3C's revenue model is completely different to ours, and I think
that was part of Ray's point.  (I don't want to put words in his
mouth, but in any case it seems important to me for this
conversation.)

For instance, if the W3C manages to get only one for-profit company
member with 50,000,000 USD in annual gross revenue, it's as if we
managed to get nearly 100 additional full-paying attendees at a
meeting (or, perhaps, about 33 fully-paid attendees at three
meetings).  Under the old price, it's instead more than 100 additional
attendees.  That's not an insignificant difference -- particularly
when we take into consideration the effects of meeting sites on those
numbers.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx