Re: gmail users read on...

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2014, at 8:54 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The fact that such services are useful is undeniable.  As is the fact that "@yahoo.com" and "@gmail.com" email address look unprofessional.  They just do.
>
> More unprofessional than making blanket statements for the whole world based on your personal opinions?

Quite.

I have my own domain and use it because that avoids the trap of being
dependent on some other party's email service. But
phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is forwarded to hallam@xxxxxxxxx

I didn't move from gmail because I considered it unprofessional though.

I moved to using gmail for all my IETF mail a long time ago because it
floods the corporate mail server otherwise and I really don't like
waiting for POP or IMAP to sync. It took four days to sync my Gmail
account to a new machine (I am using 9GB).

But the long term solution has to be to take mailing list applications
off SMTP. SMTP is not a good protocol for the requirements and the
legacy infrastructure is horrid.