Re: Flollow up from Admin Plenary

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 09:08:31PM +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 08:49:41AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > "There should be one place to look at all comments during last
> > call for the draft editors, shepherds, and others."
> >
> > This is the most important point you make. It doesn't actually need
> > to be fancy; it could be an enhancement of Tero Kivinen's review tool,
> > or an extension of the data tracker, with relevant emails captured of
> > course. It would greatly enhance the last call process.
>
> A github for IETF drafts would substantially move us in that
> direction.  In addition to tracking document revisions, github
> supports in-line comments, pull requests, ...

+1.  Or any other git-based commercial repository service.  (Even a
Fossil-based one, but please, no SVN.)

This is actually something where the IAOC could negotiate some sort of
deal with such a provider, since it'd probably be a PR coup for them to
provide such services to the IETF, and we might get the provider to
build certain features for us at lower cost / in less time than we might
otherwise get.

Alternatively, if we're not willing to go down this route, then please
develop better VCS-based I-D and RFC diff tools.

> In other words, a collaborative document editing system in addition
> to the mailing list.
>
> It would be nice if the document editing system were also able to
> archive all mail messages pertaining to the review.  I don't think
> that archiving of email messages and displaying email threads is
> currently a feature of github.

My ideal:

 - git (or Fossil, but preferably git; not SVN)
 - ticket system (not required to be tied to one repo / doc)
 - wiki
 - comment/review system with mail gateway
 - plain text friendly
 - mail/comment archive, searchable, robot-friendly

Currently we cobble these things together haphazardly out of existing
services.  I don't mind different WGs doing it differently, but we might
benefit greatly from a better integrated option.

Nico