Re: Good practices

On 8/19/14, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On Sunday, August 10, 2014 19:37 -0800 Melinda Shore
> <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 2) I would object rather strenuously to this being published
>> as a BCP, anyway.  I am unclear what problem it solves -
>> certainly, if there's an issue with underperforming chairs
>> that really needs to be dealt with head-on rather than
>> delegating to another individual (who may or may not perform).

All organisations or departments have secrataries positions. I think
it is very important position even if its tasks are small but are
important which it has no much responsibility on secretary but on the
chair because he/she should always take all the admin-tasks
responsibility.

>> I continue to think that if you're in a situation in which you
>> feel you cannot fire a chair, add another one rather than
>> adding someone who's neither fish nor fowl, not really a chair
>> but kind of sort- of one, anyway.

Firing chairs is the AD responsibility not the community. We are not
in that situation, if an AD is in that situation, then he/she can add
chair or secretary to help in small activities (depends on the reasons
of situation), however, our ADs are perfect in that and I see no
problem at ADs management so far (not sure of your example is it real
or imaginary for future).

> Agree strongly but let me turn the above around:
>
> While informal guidance is probably always a good idea (as long
> as getting it together doesn't suck energy out of useful
> technical work), the secretary role needs formal definition and
> procedures only if it is really a Junior Chair.   If we don't
> want Junior Chairs (and I agree with Melinda and the draft that
> we don't), then the job description is best kept as informal and
> flexible as possible.

I never seen secretary positions as informal/hidden in successful
organisation. IETF may have many informal groups or teams but I think
that should stop and we need more formal and not hidden positions so
we can progress in management activities. All successful managers need
assistance of secretaries. I recommend even ADs need help of
secretaries, why not :-).

> In particular, WG Secretary roles have been used in the past for
> leadership development.

That is one benefit, but not the most important advantage, IMHO, WGs
need assistance with that position.

> Doing that well requires a lot of
> flexibility.  Creating an explicit Apprentice Chair role (even
> if named something else) would probably undesirable for several
> reasons but a document that restricts the ability for Chair(s)
> to assign some of their responsibilities to a Secretary who
> works under reasonably close supervision would impede that
> possibility and, if the document were a BCP, make it subject to
> appeal.

We don't create a new chair role, but only a normal secretary role (it
is known what is secretary roles in successful organisations, they are
about very small tasks without powers and all
monitored/approved/signed by manager/chair). Chair roles have powers
that cannot be delegated only to co-chair or AD. There can be no
appeal for the secretary role because secretaries have no power on WG,
that is similar in any organisation/departments/office in the world.

AB