Re: Good practices

On 8/10/14 6:30 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> The analogy to the Tao also suggests that the effort to compile
> this document write things down, and get community review has
> been worthwhile and constructive.   What is less clear is
> whether the result should be a BCP in the RFC Series or, like
> the Tao, an evolving document.

Two things:

1) I do think that it makes sense to have something like
this in a wiki or informal document, both because I don't
see a lot of value in adding more formal layers to the IETF
organizational structure and because I do think a casual
document is going to be more responsive to changing
circumstances, and

2) I would object rather strenuously to this being published
as a BCP, anyway.  I am unclear what problem it solves -
certainly, if there's an issue with underperforming chairs
that really needs to be dealt with head-on rather than delegating
to another individual (who may or may not perform).  I continue
to think that if you're in a situation in which you feel you
cannot fire a chair, add another one rather than adding someone
who's neither fish nor fowl, not really a chair but kind of sort-
of one, anyway.

Wiki page describing the secretary role: yea.  Publishing
a BCP further formalizing the secretary role: nay.

Melinda