Re: Protocol Design Pattern (was Re: [saag] Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt>)

On 8/18/2014 2:30 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> On 18/08/14 22:18, Stephen Kent wrote:
>> short of re-writing it for him, I don't
>> see how to fix this mess.
>
> I think that's going too far and is disrespectful
> to Viktor and to those others who have expressed
> support for the document.

Really, Stephen,

Please stop finding ways to discount comments from those of us with
serious criticisms of the draft.

That's especially egregious
> given that you haven't even bothered to compare
> -03 to the earlier on-list discussion.

This is a prime example of the problem in your perspective.

An author should provide detailed responses, to detailed comments.

In the current case, the author has repeatedly failed to do that.
Instead, we are faced with the rest of us having to guess what changes
might pertain to our comments.

The kind of "check the latest draft" review that is appropriate for the
community is one that comes /after/ detailed discussion, debate and
resolution of detailed comments.

This predecessor activity -- which comprises acknowledging points of
agreement and engaging in detailed, constructive dialogue about points
of disagreement -- has been almost completely absent from any phase of
this draft, except for the places in which the author (or you or the
shepherd) have rejected points or summarily declared them in the rough.

> Please provide a detailed description of how -03
> does or does not map to the earlier mailing list
> discussion.

When someone from the community provides detailed comments, the
responsibility rests with the author to /engage/ in actual discussion
about them.  Not ignore or summarily reject them.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking