Re: Appeal from Phillip Hallam-Baker on the publication of RFC 7049 on the Standards Track

> Purely as a process clarification (I don't care enough one way
> or the other, but I haven't been involved in JSON work), is it
> correct that, if someone wanted the state that Joe asked about
> (i.e., no normative references to CBOR), they would need to take
> one of the following three steps:
>
> (1) Appeal your just-announced decision, asking that the
> document be reclassified to Experimental, Informational, or, I
> suppose, Historic?

If someone really thought it was in the best interest of the IETF to
reclassify the document, yes, they could appeal my decision; talking
to the IETF Chair would be the proper path.

> (2) Generate an I-D specifying one of the above four results and
> the reasons for it and try to get that I-D approved.

That would be an alternative path to getting the document reclassified.

Reclassifying the document would not stop anyone from using it as a
normative reference, now that we permit downrefs.

> (3) Generate an I-D for an Applicability Statement that would
> identify CBOR as "not recommended" and try to get it approved.
> While that would not prevent a normative reference requiring
> CBOR use, it would certainly touch off an interesting discussion
> should anyone try to do it.

A "CBOR Considered Harmful" document would be a more extreme case of (2), yes.

> Does that correctly summarize the process alternatives?

It seems like it.  I imagine that, creative sorts that we are, we
could manage to come up with other wrinkles.  As I've said, I think
none of them are in our best interest at this point.

Barry