Re: IETF 89 London - Tube strikes and Oyster cards

On Feb 5, 2014, at 8:51 AM, Elwyn Davies <elwynd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you don't mind taking a bit longer to get from Heathrow into central
> London, the underground is a *lot* cheaper than the Heathrow Express
> (about a factor of five! - HE is 21-26GBP single - Taxi to "central"
> London is 45-85GBP depending on time of day and how central) and isn't
> that much slower unless your hotel is real close to Paddington Station.

The tube ride from Heathrow to central London is interminable.   It's fun if you want to people-watch, and it _is_ cheaper, but Heathrow Express is really a treat if you just got off a transatlantic flight, and the Metropole is literally five blocks from the station.   I took a cab from Paddington last time because I hadn't had time to do the research, and it was actually kind of fun, since the driver was very polite about it, but it was a little embarrassing when the ride ended in less than two minutes.  :)

There is absolutely no reason to take a cab from Heathrow—it will take forever, and you'll get motion sickness.   If you really want to be coddled, take Heathrow Express, and take a cab from Paddington.   It'll cost a bit less, and be much more pleasant.   Only take the tube if you are short on cash or want a somewhat boring adventure.

BTW, doesn't this belong on 89-attendees?