Re: IETF 89 London - Tube strikes and Oyster cards

While we are on the subject of the Tube (and buses)... it is well
worthwhile buying a Visitor's Oyster card either in advance (although
time is getting a bit short for postal delivery) or at the Heathrow
*underground* station - or pretty much any other underground station
until they shut the booking offices which is what the strike is about.
More info here:
http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/help-centre/oyster-card-help.html
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c75899/London:United-Kingdom:Oyster.Cards.Travelcards.And.Tickets.html
There's a one-off fee of 3GBP but the card is good for ever and can be
topped up as often as need be at almost any ticket machine.

Oyster is the usual kind of contactless/RFID card that can be used to
pay bus fares and tube fares as well as for local train services.  It is
cheaper with Oyster than buying paper tickets and if you use it a lot on
a given day the total amount you are charged is automatically capped at
the cost of a daily Travelcard. [You learn something every day!]

If you don't mind taking a bit longer to get from Heathrow into central
London, the underground is a *lot* cheaper than the Heathrow Express
(about a factor of five! - HE is 21-26GBP single - Taxi to "central"
London is 45-85GBP depending on time of day and how central) and isn't
that much slower unless your hotel is real close to Paddington Station.
Note that the Oyster is not usable for either the Heathrow Express or
the Gatwick Express trains.

Regards,
Elwyn