Re: Project Proposal: DNS Licensing Look UP - AntiSpam and IP licensing Lookup Additions as text records in DNS

In message <AA599EFD-D990-4FE6-9718-139D8EF6E1E6@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Lemon writes:
> On Nov 19, 2013, at 5:59 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you don't want spam the first thing you need to do is make it
> > illegal to send unsolicted commercial email both from within a
> > country to anywhere and to the country regardless of where it is
> > sent from.
>
> We have an existence proof that this is the wrong way to approach the
> problem: the RIAA and the MPAA.   The disaster this has wreaked upon the
> Internet is biblical in proportion.   More laws about content on the
> Internet is the last thing we need.

Given I was talking about spam I don't see how content is relevent.

> A much better solution to this would be at layer five, by just refusing
> unmoderated email from people you don't know.   We already have the
> protocol tools to do this-what we lack are implementations.

Which kind of defeats one the purposes of having a email address.

Some classes of unsolicited/unmoderated email is to be expected.
Go read the Australian spam laws for examples.

Do you get a "free pass" if you have a unsubscribe link?  Under
Australian law it is required to be there but it doesn't save you
from being prosecuted.  Under the US CAN-SPAM act it appears that
you do get a "free pass".

Is reporting spam to authorities easy.  In Australia it is as easy
as resending the message to "report@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  The
result database is mined and prosecutions result.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx