Re: [IETF] [IETF] Re: Proposed IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

On 10/21/13 11:23 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
> (2) With the understanding that this is a purely hypothetical
> problem, any policy of this type also provides the opportunity
> for spurious claims and other sorts of DoS attacks.  Equally
> important, it provides the opportunity for some entity to claim
> externally that the IETF or some of its participants harassed it
> in violation of the policy, did nothing about it, and therefore
> that our standards should be ignored and the organization
> punished.  Those sorts of threats are certainly not a reason to
> avoid establishing policies of this sort, but we should be aware
> of possible misuses.

Absolutely, and ultimately I think that some personal
judgment on the part of *somebody* will need to be applied
should there be complaints filed.  That's not a bad
thing.

I do think that it's worth pointing out that in other
environments where organizations have taken the step of
creating and enforcing an anti-harassment policy it's
worked out well (for example, PyCon).  It's reduced the
incidence of problems *and* created an environment where
women feel both more comfortable and more welcome.
Contrast it with DefCon and it looks like a win.

Melinda