On reviews was Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

hi Peter, all,

On Oct 17, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree that the job needs to change.
>
> It might be helpful to talk about what could change, such as:
>
> 1. Less/no time on document reviews.

There are two broad purposes to review:

(1) quality, both technical and editorial: does the document describe a real working thing in an interoperably implementable way -- without necessarily considering the wider context in which it must function.

(2) consistency: does the document fit with the "Internet architecture" -- how does it interact with other documents in the same working group, in the same area; how does it interact with other ongoing work in other areas; how does it interact with past work across the IETF; and most importantly, how does it interact with what's actually deployed in each of the relevant contexts.

We already have directorates which -- with a fair amount of variability in scope from area to area -- handle first-pass reviews of most of this. The roles of the directorates could be significantly expanded; however: one important aspect of this problem is that quality review is much more scalable and parallelizes much better than consistency review. All a reviewer needs to evaluate the quality of the document is some facility with the language (and jargon) in which it is written and a relatively good understanding of the problem it's trying to solve.

Consistency review is harder in that one must additionally have fairly deep and current knowledge of essentially everything going on everywhere. Cross-area _quality_ review can reduce this workload somewhat, at the cost of requiring each area directorate to have qualified reviewers who are conversant in at least one or two other areas. So these will necessarily be rarer and more difficult, but they can be made significantly easier by more, better, and earlier quality review -- a consistency review should only be checking consistency, not chasing down ambiguities or errors wholly within the document itself.

Academia uses grad students for reviews. One, they're cheap, two, it's also a way for the grad students to learn. The hope (and it is a hope) is that for any given paper there is a diversity of expertise in the multiple reviews such that a review written by someone hopelessly unqualified doesn't result in a bad decision. We don't want to rely on hope for document quality, but we can learn something from the diversity side of this arrangement: if we have more, earlier reviews, focused on quality aspects more than consistency aspects, then the AD's review of the document can (1) draw from the outputs of more diverse earlier reviews and (2) benefit from a document of higher quality. A side benefit is that reviewers who do cross-area reviews get more visibility into the workings of other areas.

It seems that tool support could be useful here -- a document could be associated in the datatracker with a set of reviewers (either appointed by the ADs, directorates, or WG chairs, or volunteer reviewers), and those reviews tracked along with the document throughout its lifecycle, along with profiles of the reviewers (including other documents they've reviewed and authored) from which their areas of expertise can be deduced.  Doing this would allow us to track which areas have already reviewed; reviewers who have only looked at certain sections of the document in detail could indicate so, giving both an area-coverage and text-coverage view of where more work is needed.

To the extent that these reviews require human coordination and oversight (i.e., someone to ratify a review in the datatracker as of sufficient quality itself), I'd see this as primarily the job of the document shepherd.

It also needs more reviewers, but we've got a couple of thousand volunteers. This asks for a bit of a culture shift, to be slightly more formal about how reviews are done, but I think it would go a long way to making the AD position a viable choice for more people.

Cheers,

Brian