Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

On 10/17/13 12:58 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 7:47 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
>> But, again, the Nomcom can't fix this, at least for this year's
>> selections.   And one thing that has prevented the job from
>> being trimmed back is resistance from sitting ADs (sometimes
>> public and vigorous and sometimes passive refusal to consider
>> procedural changes or discuss them with the community, but
>> nonetheless blocking resistance).   I would support advising the
>> Nomcom that no one should be placed on, or returned to, the IESG
>> unless the Nomcom members were convinced that the candidates
>> considered reducing the size of the role both appropriate and a
>> high priority.
>

> The IESG defines the job and the IESG 'operates' the model.  So yes,
> formally the IESG controls this issue.
>
> However...
>
> Nomcom can apply pretty much whatever criteria it wants to the selection
> process and Nomcom has been know to have some private negotiations with
> the IESG.  Nothing as profound as the change we are suggesting, but
> still...
>
> So yes, an example of how Nomcom might independently deal with the
> current crisis is to announce a policy of looking for ADs who are
> willing to work no more than X% and then making a point of selecting
> such folk.
>
> (Note that I'm saying something different from John.  He's caling for
> new folk who would "support" a change; I'm calling for new folk who are
> firm that they won't do more than X%.)
>
> It would be better for the IESG to take the initiative here and formally
> and publicly re-define the job, but it has so far ignored such requests.
>
> So Nomcom could start things towards that change on its own.

I agree that the job needs to change.

It might be helpful to talk about what could change, such as:

1. Less/no time on document reviews.
2. Less time managing working groups.
3. Fewer working groups to manage.
4. Fewer "extra" tasks (e.g., interfacing with other SDOs).
5. Less/no involvement with BoFs and other early-stage efforts.
6. Less/no involvement with creating the schedule.

Perhaps some time and motion studies are in order to figure out how ADs
spend their time. In my experience, document reviews required a major
time commitment.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre