Re: Proper credit for work done -- on finding chairs (was CHANGE THE JOB)

On 10/17/2013 10:59 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2013, at 23:47, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> "If I'm a working group chair, I do more work, overall.  And, in
>> the end, I get no credit for it -- my name is not on any of the
>> documents. And, significantly, my company gets no credit for it
>> whatsoever, not even listed in the datatracker.
>
> This.
>
> (Fortunately for me, in the WGs I have chaired, I actually did
> (co-)write some of the documents. But it often was an uphill battle
> to get my name on them, because WG chairs are not supposed to do
> that.  Even when there are multiple chairs, who could very well watch
> each other.  Well, RFC 3095 had both chairs on the document... and 14
> more authors.)
>
> Other groups, such as IEEE, list the chairs of a group prominently
> (as such); they are worse in identifying the authors though.

Chairs, shepherds, wg secretaries etc etc. I don't think
attribution in RFCs is a great way to do that unless its
done as acks the authors decide themselves they want to
include.

And I also think chairs being authors is a bad plan for
any controlversial wg.

I do agree that some credit for chairs in particular would
be a fine thing if we could figure a way to do it though.

For example, I'd encourage authors to include acks as per
the above, in particular for cases of 'difficult' wgs.

Any other ideas?

S.