Re: Proper credit for work done -- on finding chairs (was CHANGE THE JOB)

Ted says, with respect to "Quickly replace failing WG Chairs":
> You forgot "from a magical pool of better qualified WG chairs who
> have the time and inclination to take on the work."

Let me tell you about a conversation I had when I was trying to fill a
chair position: I asked someone I thought could and would do a good
job as chair.  She was also a proponent of the technology, and wanted
to be a document author.  In response to, "Why not be a chair, and
lead the effort?", part of her answer was something like this:

"I work for a small company.  Whatever work I do on this takes away
from what I do for them, and they want to see something tangible from
it.  If I'm (co-)author on a document, my name, and my company's is at
the top of the document.  I get credit for the work.  My company gets
credit for the work.

"If I'm a working group chair, I do more work, overall.  And, in the
end, I get no credit for it -- my name is not on any of the documents.
 And, significantly, my company gets no credit for it whatsoever, not
even listed in the datatracker.

"When I go to my boss and give him the alternatives, I know which he'll pick."

Barry