Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

On 18/10/2013 08:46, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2B. Quickly replace failing WG Chairs.
>
> You forgot "from a magical pool of better qualified WG chairs who have the time and inclination to take on the work."   This is actually very similar to the AD acquisition problem.
>
> The IESG is actively interested in improving the situation (that is, reducing the workload).   We'd like document shepherds to take on more responsibility at the start, in the middle, and during the review process.   Sometimes we see glimmerings of this happening.
>
> But the bottom line is that the IETF is an all-volunteer organization.   ADs wind up doing all the work because we've managed to convince our managers to let us do IETF work full-time-ish.   Finding people onto who to offload work who are both willing to do it and competent to do it is nontrivial.   Either one or the other isn't so hard; both is hard.

Yes, of course you're right. But if we're going to actually solve this
problem before we encounter a NomCom that says "Unfortunately we have
no willing nominees for the following seven positions", or maybe
"We have one nominee for each position, all employees of Foofle Inc.",
we really need to get a bit drastic.

"I have decided that since the Boofah WG has missed all milestones for
the past year and no alternative chairs are available, the WG will
now be closed."

   Brian