Re: Last Call: <draft-resnick-retire-std1-00.txt> (Retirement of the "Internet Official Protocol Standards" Summary Document) to Best Current Practice

Comment at the end...

On 04/09/2013 08:58, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 3:49 PM, Bradner, Scott wrote:
>> in line
>>
>> On Sep 3, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Pete Resnick <presnick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>   wrote:
>>

>>   at it - maybe you should remove the 2nd
>> paragraph in the same section
>>      An official summary of standards actions completed and pending shall
>>      appear in each issue of the Internet Society's newsletter.  This
>>      shall constitute the "publication of record" for Internet standards
>>      actions.
>>
>> should also be removed since that is not being done either
>> and it is not good to say we have a publication of record that
>> does not actually exist

>>> I've fixed the reference to [STDS-TRK] so that it shows the URL. I'm
>>> not sure we need to make further reference to it.
>>>
>>> Thinking about this more, we're starting to drift afield of the
>>> purpose of this document if we start removing that paragraph.
>>> Removing that paragraph requires a different explanation than the
>>> rest. Speaking for myself only, I'm leaning against dealing with it.
>>> Anyone want to speak strongly for or against?
>
> I agree that the explanation is different, but I go back to Scott's "it
> is not good to say we have a publication of record that does not
> actually exist".
>
> Not that Pete and I get paid by the document on telechat agendas, but is
> this another candidate for a short draft?

<rant class="short">So that the reader of RFC 2026 will need to read yet
another document to get the full picture? There are currently 8 RFCs that
update RFC 2026, some of which have been updated themselves.</rant>

Quite seriously - I appreciate Pete's reluctance to overload the draft, but
it is a related topic. I'd be inclined to include it.

  Brian