Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19.txt> (Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for Authorizing Use of Domains in Email, Version 1) to Proposed Standard

On 2013-08-26, at 22:28, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The permitted size of the UDP packet is NOT 512 octets.  That is the permitted size of the DNS Message.  DNS Message is not the same thing as a UDP packet.

> I'll suggest UDP message.

The consistent word for this in 1035 is simply "message". "DNS Message" is in more common use today, I would say.

The text you quoted from 1035 is most usefully interpreted as a contraction of "messages sent over UDP"; "UDP message" really doesn't have a well-understood meaning, and is easily conflated with "UDP datagram" which does not have a size limitation of 512 bytes.

Joe