Re: Charging remote participants

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> From: Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: 08/25/2013 08:40 AM

>> The reward/motivation from IETF to participants is to
>> acknowledge in writting their efforts, which I think still the IETF
>> management still does not motivate/encourage.
>
> I COMPLETELY disagree with this.  The reward/motivation for participation
> (remotely or in person) is to have your comments, ideas, suggestions,...
> TAKEN SERIOUSLY, even if the eventual decision goes "against you".

Amen.  It also fits very well with the standard "engineer mentality",
especially those tired of banging heads against managerial brick walls
at day-jobs.

I've also participated in assorted WGs because I wanted to *learn*
what an upcoming standard was (probably) going to look like.
Sometimes I didn't have ideas to contribute, sometimes I didn't even
fully grok the context... but I still consider myself (to have been) a
"remote participant", at least for keeping up on it and being willing
(if not always able) to offer ideas.

As for being acked in writing, I'll grant Abdussalam that it's nice.
It was a fun little ego-boost (and resume-boost!) when I was credited
in a draft, and especially when that became an RFC.  However, that's
not at all why I did it.  It was more like "I've been tasked to
implement something using this standard, let's see what it says, oh
the IETF is debating the next version, let's see what they're
saying"... and when I couldn't help opening my fat trap, they liked
what I said.  Who'da thunk it?  <:*)

> As my mother used to say "What you lose on the roundabouts
> you gain on the swings"

I had to go Google that.  To save others the trouble: it seems to
refer to rides at a carnival, and mean "whatever losses you suffer in
one place, you usually make up elsewhere", implying that it all
balances out in the end.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC,
secret-cleared freelance software developer