Re: Last call of draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19

Hi Patrik,
At 11:58 20-08-2013, Patrik Fältström wrote:
As the bottle is opened, I hereby state my objection to Section 3.1 of draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19 for the reasons explained below. I do agree (as stated below) that the section of RFC 4408 that specify how to use both SPF and TXT resource record types include an error as it does not lead to interoperability.

As the intention with use of both TXT and SPF originally was to migrate from TXT to SPF I instead of what is outlined in the draft suggest that a proper migration strategy is laid out (look up mandatory to implement SPF and fall back to TXT). This instead of deprecation of the SPF record.

In general I do believe, for example when looking at IPv6 and DNSSEC and similar technologies, that the lifetime of RFC 4408 is too short to deprecate any of the proposed records that are in use, specifically as RFC 4408 explicitly do allow use of both.

draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19 is not the usual Proposed Standard effort. The SPFBIS WG was tasked to move RFC 4408 to Proposed Standard with restrictions. One of the restrictions is not to review the design. I hope that explains why draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19 is what it is. I suggested to the working group to review the issue of the migration strategy (see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spfbis/current/msg03934.html ).

From Section 3.1.1 of RFC 4408:

  "It is recognized that the current practice (using a TXT record) is
   not optimal, but it is necessary because there are a number of DNS
   server and resolver implementations in common use that cannot handle
   the new RR type.  The two-record-type scheme provides a forward path
   to the better solution of using an RR type reserved for this purpose."

There isn't similar text in draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19. Hector Santos commented that:

  "we will add SPF type support in our implementation once the infrastructure
   is ready. For us, as a windows shop, namely Microsoft DNS servers."

I read http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5841e884-db22-42a1-8530-615a375662cc/dns-server-support-for-new-or-unamed-rr-type-records My conclusion is that there is a DNS server that cannot handle the new RR Type.

The question is how to address the objection about the migration strategy.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy (as document shepherd)