Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

RECOMMENDED is a strong suggestion that the implementation may override at the discretion of the implementer. SHOULD is normative.

So the first tells me that I can make up my own mind, the second says that I should give a reason if I don't comply.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 24, 2013, at 10:52 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/24/13 1:47 PM, Michael Thornburgh wrote:
>> my feeling and belief is that RFC 2119 only gives SHOULD and
>> RECOMMENDED the same normative requirement level, but that it does
>> not override or change the distinct meanings of these words in
>> English.  sentences using each of these terms have different meanings
>> in English, even when those sentences appear in RFCs.
>
> I expect that the subtle differences between these words are lost on
> non-native speakers, and even most native speakers, of English. I'd be
> genuinely curious to hear that you think the distinct meanings are.

"It is RECOMMENDED that implementations send the AUTH_LIFETIME notification at least 4 minutes before the SA is to be deleted, to facilitate the user entering credentials in time."

"The implementation SHOULD send the AUTH_LIFETIME notification at least 4 minutes before the SA is to be deleted, to facilitate the user entering credentials in time."

- What are the subtle differences in meaning between these two sentences?

- Would an implementation written by a native speaker be any different depending on which of the above sentences was in the RFC?

Yoav

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/