Re: IETF Meeting in South America

--On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 08:34 +0200 Patrik Fältström
<paf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ICANN 48 is to be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 17-21
> November 2013, and I am looking forward to it!

Patrik,

ICANN has taken on a formal obligation to meet regularly in
Latin America, sees significant obligation to "show the flag" in
precisely those places from which there is no participation,
maintains a professional staff for promotion of the
organization, and underwrites the costs of meeting attendance by
a rather large number of people as well as the costs of the
meetings themselves.   While I have no reason to expect any
problems in Buenos Aires, ICANN empirically cares less about
effective remote participation and working global Internet
connections from the meeting location than the IETF.   IIR,
ICANN met twice in Argentina while I was actively involved and
may have done so again since (in addition to meeting in other
parts of Latin America).  Most of those meetings worked out
well, a few were less satisfactory but, again, ICANN's goals,
constrains, and meeting success criteria are different from
those of the IETF.

Given the differences between ICANN and the IETF, this is
relevant how?  Perhaps we can use the ICANN meeting as a way to
promote remote and mailing list participation in the IETF of the
variety that would justify a meeting under our traditional
criteria for holding meetings in a country or region?

best,
    john