Re: Language editing

On 08/05/2013 08:33, Ned Freed wrote:
>>> Also agreed.
>
>> To be clear, I'm no fan of formal verification either, but this
>> *is* a case where the IETF's lapse in formality has come back to
>> bite, and the Postel principle would have helped. Also, given the
>> original subject of the thread, I don't see how language editing
>> could have made any difference.
>
> Reread the notes about the history behind this in this thread. You haven't even
> come close to making a case that formal verification of the standards would
> have prevented this from happening.

You are correct if only considering the mail standards. I suspect
that a serious attempt at formal verification would have thrown
up an inconsistency between the set of mail-related standards and
the URI standard. However, I think the underlying problem here is
that we ended up defining the text representation of IPv6 addresses
in three different places, rather than having a single normative
source. (ABNF in the mail standards, ABNF in the URI standard,
and English in ipv6/6man standards.)