Re: Language editing

--On Tuesday, May 07, 2013 08:08 -0700 Ned Freed
<ned.freed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Maybe things have changed, but, if one actually believes the
>> robustness principle, then, in the case Geoff cites, Exchange
>> is simply non-conforming -- not because the spec prohibits
>> rejecting on the basis of a fine distinction about IPv6
>> formats, but because doing so is unnecessary, inconsistent
>> with the robustness principle, and, arguably, plain silly.

> I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree here. If you look at
> RFC 5321 and are unaware of the history of how the text came
> about, it gives the definite appearance of going out of its
> way to ban the use of :: to replace a single 0. A reasonable
> interpretation is therefore that such forms are disallowed for
> a reason.

I hadn't looked at the syntax (as you know, the other part of
that history of how the text came about is that I didn't write
it or even make an effort to check it carefully).  But, having
now done so, you are completely correct.

> It's fine to be tolerant of stuff the relevant standard doesn't
> allow but doesn't call out explicitly. But that's not the case
> here.

Of course, we have lots of implementations that allow things on
input that the standard explicitly prohibits and we rarely spend
much time complaining about them.  I suppose that tolerance for
bare LF is among the most common examples.

> In any case, if you want to "fix" this, we could change RFC
> 5321 to accept this form. But as Mark Andrews points out, you
> can't make it legal to send such forms without breaking
> interoperability. I suppose we could make the change and
> recycle at proposed, but that seems rather extreme to fix what
> is in fact a nonissue.

Agreed

> I'll also point out that this has diddley-squat to do with
> formal verification processes. Again as Mark Anrdrews points
> out, we deployed something with a restriction that
> subsequently turned out to be unnecessary, and now we're stuck
> with it. Indeed, had formal verification processes been
> properly used, they would have flagged any attempt to change
> this as breaking interoperability.

Also agreed.

best,
   john