Re: [IETF] Comments for Humorous RFCs or uncategorised RFCs or dated April the first

On 07/04/2013, at 9:59 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I mostly share the sentiment that this is just humor, so what's the harm.
>
> That said, I did at one point have to exercise my diplomatic skills when I got forwarded a customer (nameless here for evermore) question about whether support for RFC 3514 was on our roadmap.
>
> While the people on this list generally "get" the joke, not all readers of RFCs are part of this group. The recent RFC 6919 is full of in-jokes (or perhaps, in-roast?) that many outside the IETF will not get. Anyways, it is an issue, but I think these are too much fun to do away with them.

Indeed.

The April 1 RFCs do a great job reminding readers that the authority of an RFC, on its own, approaches zero. OTOH, it should also be a bit of a wake-up call to folks here that people so often confuse "RFC" with "authoritative statement of the IETF."

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/