Re: History of protocol discussion or process in WG

On 2/3/13 7:38 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 2/3/2013 10:28 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> I'm not sure I've ever been involved with a WG where you could have
>> gotten consensus on any of the above enough to publish it.  Nor can I
>> think of many WGs that have the excess energy to do this work.  Even
>> getting consensus on a summary of where you ended up is quite
>> tricky.
>

> Getting consensus on the details of a history is much more difficult
> than on a technical spec...
>
> So don't try.

+1.  In fact in the ITU context they will sometimes spend half a day on
a meeting report.  I really don't think we want to go there.

What I would like not to have happen is that we spend any time bickering
over who said what, especially if it detracts from the business of
developing excellent standards.  I think your point, Dave, about
synthesis being left to historians is a good one, and I might go
farther, and say that the whole endeavor should be.  But having at least
a record from individauls about what *they* said or meant is, I suppose,
not unreasonable.

Eliot