Re: IESG Considering a Revision to NOTE WELL

On 07/11/2012 01:23, Randy Bush wrote:
we are [supposed to be] professionals of *integrity*.  discussion of how
far the submarine should be allowed to run before it surfaces are the
primrose path.  as professionals of integrity, we should not participate
in submarine exercises.
I wonder whether we should encourage an informal warning that an
IPR disclosure is in the pipeline, when such a corporate delay is likely.

With my non-attorney's understanding of IPR protection, an 'informal' disclosure to an outside party is still a disclosure. For the scenario being discussed, the delay is specifically to get authorization for /any/ disclosure, with the presumption that none is permitted absent that authorization.

As for an assumption of integrity, the motivation for the current effort is caused by a lack of IPR holders' being forthcoming.

It doesn't matter whether the problem has been due to lack of understanding, lack of integrity, or something else: the reasonable goal here is to make sure that this fundamental IETF requirement is more clear to more people, sooner.

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking