Re: IETF Last Calls and Godwin-like rules

On Feb 17, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> On 2/17/12 2:18 PM, Chris Grundemann wrote:
>>> *and I happen to know the person who is doing the agreeing*
>>
>> I keep hearing statements along these lines and it's a bit
>> unnerving. Either participation in the IETF is open, or it isn't.
>> When a person's opinion/view/thoughts/words/etc. are judged
>> exclusively by "do I know this person" then you have an Old Boys
>> Club, not an open body.
>
> Chris, I think Pete meant that if he happens to know the personal
> context of the person who says "+1" then he can impute some meaning to
> it (because he knows the person has been following the discussion,
> knows what that person's concerns have been in past threads, etc.). He
> is not saying that you need to be part of the club in order to gain a
> hearing, only that if he doesn't know you then a mere +1 carries less
> (or no) weight with him.

I hope Pete meant something a bit more than that. In specific, I hope he meant:

if he happens to know the personal
context of the person who says "+1" then he can impute some meaning to
it, but if he doesn't know the personal context, then he needs to
put effort into finding it out

That is, in a WG where you are leading a consensus call, if you get a significant number of +1s or -1s from people who haven't participated in the conversation to date, it is your responsibility to try to find out why. "I just got started" is a perfectly good reason, as is "I have been following this silently but this is the first thing I thought was important"; "I was told to join the list and vote" is also context that is good to know.

All of this, of course, argues against the proposal that started this thread.

--Paul Hoffman