RE: Requirements for improving IETF remote participation

SM wrote:

> There are more than two types of participants:

Not sure if I count as an "old boy" or not. Don't think I am as old as I feel.

Anyway, I think it important to add to the categories of participants those who
*are* local participants, but who are not in the room where the meeting is
taking place. A number of people attempt to follow multiple parallel meetings
using jabber and/or headphones. For them, speaking participation usually
requires someone to channel over jabber, or a sprint between rooms.

Such participants, like remote participants, would benefit from having the
projector streamed as well as audio.

> In Section 2:
>
>    "Bar BoFs at regular IETF meetings are not listed above
>     because they mostly happen in places where remote participation can't
>     be scheduled."
>
> Aren't Bar BoFs informal?  There are also BoFs and "side-meetings"
> (draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-06).

Yes. Please do not make *any* provisions for remote participation at side
meetings. If the organisers want to arrange that sort of thing they can put
their mobile phone on the bar!

> In Section 3.3:
>
>    "This method of participation often works adequately, but there are
>     many places where it fails."
>
> The problem is the audio delay.  Even if the delay was a few seconds
> only, that would still happen as it is difficult to manage the
> in-room discussion and remote participation at the same time.

I have found that the audio delay builds. Disconnecting and reconnecting to the
meeting catches you up.

> In Section 4.1.2:
>
>    "Remote attendees who are speaking over the
>     audio must be visible to the local attendees."
>
> That's not a good idea if the remote participant is many time zones away. :-)

It is also not a requirement and may be impractical on low b/w links.
Should I send a short video of me typing this email?

Cheers,
Adrian