Re: "class E" (was: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request)

In message <4EDE4884.1030509@xxxxxxxxx>, Eliot Lear writes:
> Mark,
>
> On 12/5/11 10:38 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > It's not that the CPE's can't renumber. The ISP are already using RFC
> > 1918, in good faith, internally to talk to the management interfaces
> > of modems so using RFC 1918 is forcing the ISP's to renumber out of
> > whichever RFC 1918 block that is choosen for this purpose. Customers
> > that are using RFC 1918 addresses, in good faith, are being force to
> > renumber because the IETF is changing the rules retrospectively.
>
> This overstates the case, or at least shows confusion over what we meant
> by the term "enterprise" in RFC-1918.  I don't know about the other
> authors, but I meant an enterprise that was an end user, and
> specifically *not* a service provider.   Nevertheless, SPs *are* using
> the space today.  That is the world in which we live, no matter what
> 1918 says.  What, then, is the best approach to deal with the conflict
> (if it existsâ?? see Rob Elz's note)?

The best approach is to give the service providers a different pool.
Just because some service providers are mis-using RFC 1918 address
to number clients (there is no problem with them using RFC 1918 to
number the management interfaces), it doesn't mean we should be
forcing them to use RFC 1918 addresses to number clients.  Nor
should we be forcing them to hand shared addresses without the
clients having the ability to identify that the address is shared.

If the only tool you have is a hammer (RFC 1918 addresses) then
thay is what you use.  This is about giving the ISPs a different
tool better suited to the purpose.  Now if the enterprise (includes
home user) chooses to use this other tool then it is on their heads.
I would also hope that ISP's that are using RFC 1918 addresses to
number customer would stop the practice.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx