Re: Last Call: <draft-gregorio-uritemplate-07.txt> (URI Template)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@xxxxxxxx>
To: "t.petch" <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "IETF Discussion" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>;
<draft-gregorio-uritemplate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 1:47 AM
On 01/12/2011, at 9:50 PM, t.petch wrote:

> 2.3
> Is undefined formally defined?  This section suggests that 'undef' or 'null',
> inter alia, may be used to undefine a variable while 3.2 uses 'null'.  I see
no
> more formal definition of how to undefine a variable, as opposed to it having
> value or having an empty value.

Based on previous feedback, we're making a forward reference to 3.2.1 to clarify
this.

> 1.2
> worth pointing out that 'reserved' and 'unreserved' are formally defined in
1.5,
> to stop people reaching for RFC3986.

If this is an issue, I'd actually prefer to place the notational conventions
section higher in the document. Thoughts?

<tp>
No, I would not.

I think that this I-D, unlike many, gets the sequence right, of explanation,
formal definition and then the nitty-gritty.  Moving 1.5 higher up would impair
that.  Rather, I would insert
'reserved and unreserved are formally defined in section 1.5 using the same
definitions as appear in [RFC3986]'
after the first paragraph of 1.2.

Tom Petch

> The examples are rather complicated.  If I have a month to spare, I will work
my
> way through them by which time, were I to find anything,
> doubtless it would be erratum time and no longer LC time.
> (How simple life was in the days of -00).

Thanks for the feedback,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/