Re: The death John McCarthy

By the time period Steve talks about I was out of diapers and able to toddle on my own.

Fast forward a few years and I was exposed to LISP (the real one, not the IETF one) when I did my thesis at the MIT LCS and fell in love with it.  To the point that I regularly argued with various cretins from Berkeley who felt that C, not LISP, was the language of the gods.  It took a true grey beard to interject and say that assembly language was the language of the gods, because both LISP and C compiled into machine language, so if you could not write a program in assembly language, you could not write it at all. My rebuttal that we had lots of LISP machines hanging around didn't make much of an impact on the argument.

Since the relative demise of LISP/Scheme and the ascension of the semicolon over the parenthesis, MIT has gotten its revenge, inflicting the angle bracket in the parenthesis' place through the global adoption of XML.

Yes, I *have* seen XML language proposals that look deceptively identical to the lambda calculus...