Re: The death John McCarthy

Hi Bob,

> I request that the relevant authors and IETF working group rename what it
> currently calls "LISP" to something else.  To put it politely, the IETF should
> be standing on the shoulders of the giants who have laid the groundwork of the
> Internet, not stepping on their toes.

I commend your sincerity and your admiration for Dr McCarthy. It's a sad
event for the A.I world.

While the name of the IETF Work and the Language is identical I actually
don't see that as a problem, nor do I think it crushes anyone's toes - or at
least no one has suggested it to me. The people who know the foundations for
LISt Processing (LISP) will quickly assess the IETF Locator/ID Separation
Protocol (LISP) as completely different contexts.

For the beige bodies in between, does it matter that there is a small
confusion that requires 10 seconds of google-fu?

That stated, I'm quite happy to see the use of the LISP acronym used as a
homage to Dr McCarthy, and since LISP (the WG) is in a re-charter phase I'm
happy (with LISP WG co-chair hat off) to suggest a small paragraph at the
start of the draft charter which highlights the difference and pays respect
to Dr McCarthy.

Cheers
Terry