Re: Requirement to go to meetings

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 05:48:07PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
> Eliminate one of the face to face meetings entirely -- go to two
> a year and either hold the 4 3/4 day schedule or, better cut it
> back to four.  [snip]

I support this concept, although I would go much further and
eliminate ALL face-to-face meetings.

Travel (for meetings) is expensive, time-consuming, energy-inefficient,
and increasingly difficult.  As a group that possesses significant
'net expertise, we should have long since figured out how to organize
our processes so that it's not necessary, thereby removing significant
barriers to participation and saving everyone's time and money.

Yes, that means not just working through the technology issues, but
the procedural ones as well -- and that latter may be difficult than
the former.  But I think it's feasible, and I think we should commit
to it, with a goal of eliminating all meetings by 2014.

---rsk