Re: Requirement to go to meetings

> At 05:52 24-10-2011, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>> As jabber scribe, I view part of my responsibility as relaying questions asked on jabber (if no one else is doing so). For groups that have secretaries, I suggest that that be part of the secretary's responsibilities.
>
> The secretary is busy taking minutes.  That doesn't mean that the secretary cannot draw attention if someone is asking a question on Jabber.  The audio recording is a handy supplement when the speaker cannot be identified or to cross-check the details.

	In my experience that unfortunately happens about %10 of the time.  We need some way for remote participants to virtually stand in the mic queue so they get called upon and allowed to not only ask a question, but to follow-up - especially if the presenter needs clarification on the question.

> As for remote participation, if you do not know anyone in the room you are going to be ignored.  That's an IETF feature that also applies for people who attend meetings.  There are little things that can help remote participants follow what is going on.  Melinda Shore mentioned some of them.  Most of the fixes are non-technical.

	Jabber/etc... are really bubblegum and bailing wire solutions.  I have been forced to skip meetings in the past due to budget issues, and can tell you that relying on others to proxy for you just doesn't work. Despite knowing someone in the room, you are assuming they are not busy trying to work themselves either participating in the meeting, writing documents, or whatever.  I've tried Skyping into meetings, jabber, whatever and it just doesn't work well because the people that ultimately must speak for you often can't.  Also, you assume people know someone well enough to ask for them; which is asking a lot especially for new people.

	The best approach I've witnessed (and used many times) is WebEx where you can explicitly request to ask a question by virtually raising your hand, and then when the chair recognizes you, you can ask your own question. You can then interact with the presenter - and if the chairs are being sophisticated, they could project your face on a screen.  You can also use this mechanism as a means when gauging consensus where the chair(s) ask for a feeling of the room and for people to raise their hands.

	--Tom