Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

At 01:05 19-09-2011, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
As far as I understand the trust agreement the voting members and the IAD are members of the trust. If the 'chairs' are non-voting members of the IAOC then the idea is that they would not be trustees and a modification of the trust agreement is not needed. That can be clarified.

The IETF Administrative Director serves, ex officio, as a non-voting member of the IAOC. He is still considered as part of the IAOC membership and is an eligible person. As such he is permitted to become a Trustee. Section 2.1 of draft-kolkman-iasa-ex-officio-membership-01 states that:

  "They are not members of the Trust."

Section 2.3 of the draft defines who are the trustees. The IAD makes the matter somewhat complicated if you want the fix to be through BCP 101. I suggest asking the IETF Counsel for advice about the correct fix.

Section 2.1 mentions that:

  "They are explicity invited to all of the IAOC and Trust activities,
   including executive sessions, and have the right to advice, solicited
   or not."

The IETF Trust side may be a problem. Once again, I suggest asking IETF Counsel for advice.

The IETF Trust monthly meetings last around 15 minutes. Given that it is the body responsible for handling DMCA Take Down Notices (curiously, the IAOC seems to be dealing with that), it is hard to say whether it is important or not for the IAB Chair, the IETF Chair and the ISOC President to be trustees.