Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

Hi, Dave,

Anything that the IETF can do, to make the IAB and IETF Chair positions less of
a full-time (or more) job, is a good thing.

Anything? I believe you do not believe that statement, but I think it accurately summarizes the focus of this thread, so far.

Thanks for the wake-up call, of course. Now, it's Monday AFTERNOON in my time zone.

I am carefully reading the notes that were posted after I posted. I noticed that John Klensin says "not JUST an offload proposal" - and I get that - and I hadn't fully grokked the "fiduciary responsibility" point Marshall made. So, yes, I overspoke.

Like I said - I'm fine being in the rough on this proposal, but I would like us to think about "if not this, what gets offloaded?"

As a former IAOC chair there is another set of questions I would ask here:
Who picks up the load? How might this change community dynamics and
expectations around IAOC/Trust related work items?

Some of the business related decisions that the IAOC must make are already quite contentious and delegation won't help. Finding volunteers willing to step up to "chair like" responsibility is already hard. I suspect that this will put additional pressure on the IAOC and IETF Trust chairs as well as the volunteers who step into the IETF/IAB seats.

For better or worse the IAOC is seen as a housekeeping function but, as Jonne and Marshall have pointed out, there are serious responsibilities and major assets under management here. The existing balance of leadership and community participation has worked well. Swapping in other IESG or IAB members may serve as well, but this just adds load to another set of over-burdened folk. Moving to a system that is largely drawn from the broader community may have unexpected results for both the IAOC and the volunteers. If the community adopts this new model we must also be willing to ensure that the very best candidates have an incentive to pick up the administrative burdens. There is not a lot of glory and a fair amount of pain associated with the IAOC work and we could quickly find ourselves with a shortage of folks willing to "do the dishes" unless we find ways to
support and reward this kind of community service.

- Lucy

Ietf mailing list
Ietf@xxxxxxxx