Re: Drafts Submissions cut-off

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Moore" <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Joe Touch" <touch@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:36 AM

> On Aug 1, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
>
> > Not all IDs are discussed at the upcoming IETF. It is inconvenient to need
to delay an update or new submission simply because there's an IETF coming up.

> > And all I've seen the deadline accomplish is that people post non-posted
updates on local websites for discussion anyway.

> > Unless there's a load issue, IMO there ought not be a blackout period.
>
> Based on response time from the internet-drafts@xxxxxxxx during that period,
and also on delays in getting the I-Ds out the door, I believe there is a load
issue.   (no complaints about the actual response or service, but they did seem
quite busy)

Yes, except that I do see complaints, of I-Ds appearing after a cutoff, with the
explanation being that there has been a delay of some days from submission to
announcement, so the I-Ds were submitted before the cutoff but appeared after.
Which suggests that the system gets overloaded

And this is a minor problem.  As suggested in another post, the cutoff is a good
time
to do a trawl, especially of unadopted I-Ds which may not have been mentioned
on the list, of all announced I-Ds to catch any that I have missed.

On balance, the cutoff is a good thing.

Tom Petch