Re: one data point regarding native IPv6 support

In message <92F90CDD-6DA4-4B7F-BBCC-5DA43A43AF0B@xxxxxxxxx>, Joel Jaeggli write
s:

> On Jun 10, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
> > John,
> >
> > On 2011-06-11 05:05, John C Klensin wrote:

> >> But, to the extent to which the motivation for moving 6to4 to
> >> Historic is what Tony describes as "kill-what-we-don't-like",
> >
> > Unfortunately, as I know from the enormous amount of technical
> > feedback I got from living, breathing operators while drafting
> > draft-ietf-v6ops-advisory, the motivation is "kill something
> > that is causing real operational problems and failure modes."
> > I wouldn't be endorsing draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic if
> > there wasn't a very sound operational argument for it.
>
> I'm a content provider. I'm am prepared to turn on more ipv6 services that ar
> e visible to consumers. 6to4 is a visible and measurable source of collateral
>  damage. If consenting adults want to use it that's fine, I would greatly app
> reciate it if the facility were:
>
> * off by default
>
> * considered harmful when not deliberately used.

You don't need to make the protocol historic to achieve this.

> The gradually declining determinism that we fully expect to experience from i
> pv4 access networks and mobile broadband in particular we expect to be hard e
> nough to manage without those users riding in over 6to4.
>
> I think the two documents at present encourage:

There are at least 4 documents that address aspects of this issue.

You need to add "happy eyeballs" to the mix (which works, see Google
Chrome) and my 6to4 DHCP option draft.

> * vendors an implementors to consider not using or a least disabling by defau
> lt 6to4 auto-tunneling in existing and future implementations.

We don't need vendors to stop implementing (historic).  We just need it
turned off by default (advisary).

> * the deployment of additional 6to4 anycast relays which if done would help a
> ddress issue that existing users of 6to4 who will be with us for a while as w
> ell as those who would prefer to use it would benefit from.

* the ability to signal that 6to4 will not work with the address you are
  being give.

* the ability to signal that there is a managed 6to4 relay at this address.

> > I think nobody wants to kill the successful use of 6to4, but
> > we need to stop the operational problems getting worse. It
> > appears that the default help desk advice to disable 1PV6 is
> > generally an echo of problems caused by on-by-default 6to4.
> >
> >    Brian
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx