Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

On 2011-04-14 06:19, Bob Hinden wrote:
> Olaf,
>
> On Apr 2, 2011, at 1:28 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>
>> [as editor:]
>>
>> It seems that the high order bit of this discussion circles
>> around the question on whether it a requirement for the
>> IETF Chair to have a voting position in order to
>> effectively perform oversight. Once we figured out where we
>> want to go with that we can think about delegation by the
>> chair vs appointment by the bodies and the implementation
>> details with respect to the trust.
>
> For the record, I don't agree with this summary.  That is, I
> still question the basic assumption in the proposal.  We have
> "running code" in the IASA model and it appears to work
> reasonable well.  Not perfect, of course.  In particular I
> think that having the IETF chair, IAB chair, and ISOC
> president as voting members of the IAOC (and IETF Trust) has
> worked very well.  It makes them an active part of decisions
> the IAOC and IETF Trust are making and helps keep the IAOC
> from getting disconnected from the community.  It also makes
> them share the responsibility for decisions by having their
> vote be publicly recorded.

I agree. I think this responsibility should not be delegated.
It's fundamental to the success of the IETF (and the ISOC for
that matter - the IETF is a major source of ISOC's legitimacy).
The IAOC delegates execution to the IAD etc. - maybe the real
bug is that the IAOC itself needs to delegate more?

> I also don't understand what the effect of the proposal is on
> the IETF Trust.  Currently all IAOC members are members of
> the IETF Trust.  They have to sign a letter accepting this
> role.  I don't think it can then be delegated.

It can't be delegated. However, a duly approved update to BCP101
can change the definition of the formal membership of the
IAOC, and that would automatically change the membership of
the Trust. An alternative would be a formal change to the Trust
Agreement, but since IANAL, I don't know whether a change to
allow delegation or proxies would be possible under the law of
the Commonwealth of Virginia, where the Trust was established.

    Brian