Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues-02.txt> (Issues with IP Address Sharing) to Informational RFC

Hey Scott,

Thanks for all the "excellent"s.  Hopefully some of them are deserved :)

Couple of clarifications:

> > IP address -->  MAC address -->  Connected AP
>
> As the MAC addresses are NOT reliable, it is a lot more straight
> forward to directly map between IP addresses and APs.
>
> In the (excellent!) experiment, you associated yourself with one or more MAC addresses.  Your IP address is more likely to change than your MAC.

You're actually both right, but neither fact really matters to the experiment.  The goal was to locate "the thing with that IP", and the network is authoritative for which MAC address goes with that IP -- even if the MAC address is bogus and even if the MAC address changes.  In the end, all you really care about is that the thing that is assigned a given IP address is connected to a given access point, which bounds its location.

> Directional antenna makes it imprecise.
>
> In the (truly excellent) experiment, the goal was to find out which room someone was in so you could find them.

Even with a directional antenna that's throwing WiFi out for a couple of kilometers, you're still doing a lot better than the generic IP-geo service mentioned in the draft.  And part of the point of discussing ISP-based systems is that the ISP knows how the APs are laid out and configured -- so even if there were directional antennas, the location system could account for them.

In reality, we just did the easy thing.  If we had gotten into signal measurements, we probably could have done much better.  I understand that there are even companies that make products for these sorts of things :)
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5755/ps6301/ps6386/prod_qas0900aecd8029371a.html>

In any case, the broad point is that if you know something about the infrastructure, you can create a better location service, and that such services are being created.  I was just suggesting that it could be helpful for the shared-addressing-issues draft to mention the impact on these systems.

--Richard