Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-shared-addressing-issues-02.txt> (Issues with IP Address Sharing) to Informational RFC

Richard L. Barnes wrote:

>> As you are assuming physical identity of DHCP clients are known
>> reliably (I don't know how it can be done), it is a lot easier
>> for DHCP servers to assign static IP addresses to the clients
>> based on the physical identity information than assigning random
>> addresses and map them later through complicated database look up.
>
> As an example, consider a system we built for the IETF meeting
> network a few years ago.  The server queried a series of
> tables inside of NetDisco to map an IP address to the WiFi AP
> that it was connected to:
> IP address -->  MAC address -->  Connected AP

As the MAC addresses are NOT reliable, it is a lot more straight
forward to directly map between IP addresses and APs.

> Since the locations of the APs are known, this gives you the
> location of the endpoint to within a few tens of meters
> (empirically, within the IETF network).

Directional antenna makes it imprecise.

>> Is it a use case in the real world?
>
> The US FCC thinks so:
> <http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/pdf/2011-565.pdf>

Could you quote the relevant part of the lengthy document?

						Masataka Ohta