Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

On 9/7/10 1:55 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>> On 9/3/10 3:45 PM, Hascall Sharp wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes.  The IETF is having too many meetings where physical presence is
>>> required in order to participate effectively in the work.
>> We have the same number as when I started attending around ietf 37.
>
> It's my sense that it's increasingly difficult to do
> work in the IETF without being physically present at
> meetings, as well.  The audio streaming has gotten
> really excellent but that's one-way - there's far less

The IAD bought new equipment for japan, net netbooks went a long way
towards improving the sound quality over the old imbedded systems kit.

> support for Jabber participation (possibly as a result
> of the great audio), and for providing input from
> remote locations.  There also seems to be a cultural
> shift and expectations have changed.  There was one
> session at the last meeting in which the chairs asked
> for volunteers to do work between that meeting and
> the next one, but only from people who were actually
> present in the meeting room at the time.  It's also
> more common to take "votes" and then announce the
> results on mailing lists.

As a working group chair with a lot of if not mostly remote
particaptions I went out on my way to make sure that those who could not
attend had their views represented in opsec. That said, having only run
three two hour meetings a year, as I've done that activity, the too many
things going on in the cockpit problem is pronounced. Tracking and
engaging on the remote side while running the meeting is a lot to do
even with to chairs... the webex was a interesting experiment, and It
makes the virtual interim more productive but it's a lot to manage while
you're doing everything else.