Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

On 8/28/2010 12:54 AM, Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo) wrote:
I have not seen an IETF meeting where people have not complained about
the layout of the venue,...

A primary requirement for participating in a open environment like the IETF is the ability to apply damping filters, rather than getting distracted by what is often merely noise.

The single biggest example of being distracted is tending to class everything as noise and then complaining about the noise. The complaint, itself, serves as another distraction. It gets in the way of serious discussion about legitimate issues.

Yes we always have complaints about venues. That does not make all of them silly or wrong. We merely have to look for real patterns of complaints.

Some venues have had significant problems. Not merely irritants or points of small inconvenience, but serious deficiencies. Typically, careful venue selection could avoid most or all of these.

Maastricht is a delightful town... for tourism. But for the IETF meeting, Maastricht displayed a strikingly large number of serious problems and there seems to be some consensus about this. What is impressive to me is that a venue having displayed so many serious limitations and problems would garner any vigorous defense.

Perhaps the largest problem with venue discussions is the failure to identify salient, objective criteria and discuss meaningful implications of the criteria.

That basic failure reduces these exchanges to mere expressions of personal preference about a venue. In other words, it makes it a popularity contest.

Mike St. Johns' posting:

<https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=53120&tid=1283016769>

is quite excellent, for its attempt to describe what he wants from a venue, in terms of participating in a meeting.

I suggest we should try to develop some language like his that garners meaningful consensus in terms of convenience, /total/ cost, functionality, reliability, and other core criteria. Convenience covers travel, lodging, food, and other resources local to the venue.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking